Well.... are you? 🤣
Well, consider yourself caught!
Odds are your phone is creating a gap between you and your loved ones. But as long as it doesn't get as bad as in this scene from 'Her', you should be okay 😉.
* People now check their smartphones 150 times per day or every six minutes? 🙈 (and this was in 2013!)
* The average person now spends more than 8 hours a day on their phone and laptop (more time than they spend sleeping).
And I don’t have the exact stat on this but I’d say that as a result, we have a ZERO PERCENT chance of being fully engaged in life and in the moment if we’re this consumed by our devices.
Some of you might say it’s inevitable - that it’s an uphill battle and that we should just give in.
So here’s what I say to that. Technology is not the problem. Our devices are tools.
And as conscious and highly evolved human beings we get to choose how we let these tools and these devices influence our life.
The key is being aware enough to notice when you are being the influencER or the influencEE.
Agree or Disagree?
* Whenever something interesting happens in my life, I grab my phone to snap a photo.
* I feel the need to instantly respond to almost all communications otherwise it weighs on me.
* I sleep with my phone next to my bed. 🛌
* I check my phone within the first 15 minutes of waking up in the morning.
* I use my phone as my alarm clock.
* I bring my phone to the dinner table.
* I frequently check my social media accounts to see how many likes and followers I’ve gained. 👍🏻
* I rarely or never turn my phone off.
* My phone is almost always within 5 feet of my reach.
* I never take breaks from my phone - giving myself time to read, go for a walk, spend time with a loved one - without it nearby.
If you agree with most or all of these statements you aren’t alone. Unfortunately, it has become the norm.
...because when that sunset comes along, we aren’t letting it absorb into our souls. It’s way more important to keep a record of these moments in your mind and in your heart than it is to store it in your never-ending black hole of photos.
And I bet that a HUGE source of your stress and anxiety comes from your device - because it creates this façade that every little tiny ounce of time we have should be consumed by something we need to do, read, watch, learn about, and share. FOMO is REAL.
So what can you do? How do you become the “influencer”? How do you have technology be the accelerant, the enabler, and the platform for you to achieve everything you want in life. It has ENORMOUS power today. We just have to leverage it for what WE TRULY WANT and not the other way around.
You’ll start to expose the deep intelligence and wisdom that lies within us as human beings by eliminating distraction.
When we release ourselves from being used by technology and instead become aware and conscious…. technology gives us the power to conquer the world 🌎.
If you want to take the FIRST STEP and ADMIT you have a problem 🙋🏽 - feel free to confess in the comments below :)
Click the button below to get free wellbeing resources and the latest content.
Enter your name and email below to get FREE updates.